• 675px-palazzo_davanzati_12.JPG

Palazzo Davanzati is located in Florence in via di Porta Rossa 9. Inside it houses the Museo della Casa Fiorentina Antica.
The palace is a fine example of Florentine residential architecture of the '300 , built around the middle of the century by the Davizzi family, wealthy merchants of the art of Calimala (or merchants), was later sold in 1516 to the Bartolini family, rich members of the ' Arte del Cambio , and finally in 1578 to Bernardo Davanzati , equally rich merchant, as well as an important economist, agronomist, scholar and Italian historian. It was he who had the family crest affixed on the façade and he also built the altana (loggia terrace) on the third floor, instead of the original crenellation typical of medieval tower houses.
The palace enjoyed a certain splendor at the end of the eighteenth century when it hosted the Accademia degli Armonici , which included composers such as Luigi Cherubini and Pietro Nardini .
The palace belonged to the Davanzati family until 1838 when, Carlo, the last exponent of the family, committed suicide. The building was then divided into neighborhoods and underwent various internal structural changes.
In 1902, a room in the building was rented by Giovanni Papini and Giuseppe Prezzolini , together with Giovanni Costetti , Adolfo De Carolis , Alfredo Bona , Ernesto Macinai and Giuseppe Antonio Borgese , to found the literary magazine Leonardo , published by Vallecchi , of which 25 files were published, from 4 January 1903 to August 1907 .
In 1904 the building, which had just survived nineteenth century demolitions , was bought by the antiquarian Elia Volpi and later restored and furnished according to the fourteenth century style. In 1910 he opened it to the public for the first time as a private museum of the "Casa Fiorentina antica", which was soon loved by foreign collectors and travelers, who often visited it to get ideas for the furnishing of their homes. In 1916 Volpi organized a memorable auction in New York , where he sold the entire furniture of the building with great profit: the event is remembered as an important stop for the spread of neo-Renaissance taste in the United States.
In 1920 the house had been redecorated and again the furniture was sold in 1924 , but this time instead of being lost it was bought by the antique dealers of Egyptian origin Vitale and Leopoldo Bengujat, who also rented the building and soon they bought ( 1926 ). In 1934 the furniture was sold at auction and bought by the Spanish Art Gallery.
In 1951 the building was bought by the Italian State that definitively used it as a museum, with furniture, paintings and objects coming in part from other Florentine museums and partly from purchases and donations received. In 1956 the museum was reopened with an installation that tried to recreate the atmosphere of a private home.
Since the end of the 90s it has been the subject of a long and delicate restoration. In 2005 the ground floor and the first floor were reopened, while on 11 June 2009 it was completely reopened.